Monday 5 September 2011

Like Any Other Day (mostly)

Like Any Other Day (mostly)
It is a holiday Monday here in Canada. Labour day weekend. I’ve never really understood the whole labour day holiday really, perhaps I should look it up some day, have an appreciation for it. As a work at home mother though, it’s a Monday and pretty much shaping up like any other day. For most employed outside the home it is a day off, a get away. Daddy Sanford and I own a business(s) which means there are no holidays or days off. We get time when we can and this weekend was one of those times. Today though Daddy will be working so around here, it’s just a Monday.
I have to interrupt this train of thought to brag for a moment. It isn’t even noon yet and I have supper ready. If you are thinking “how does she do it?”, simple, I have two words for you: crock pot. I have a roast in there and it won’t be long until the smell of sweet spicy sauce wafts through the house. My roast will cook all day and all I have to do at supper time is cook a vegetable and cut up some buns. This is definitely in my list of top ten favourite meals. While I am stoked that I will be having an awesome supper tonight, I am equally stoked at the prospect of the stolen time I will have later today in lieu of the regular supper prep. 
Recipe for BBQ Beef Sandwiches
1 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup worchestercire sauce
1 tbsp vinager
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp cayanne pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Mix all ingredients together. Place your choice of roast in the crock pot and pour sauce over it (I usually use a standard beef roast, no need for fancy cuts. Also tastes great with venison and I suppose would be equally yummy with pork). Turn crock pot onto low and let simmer and cook all day. Cooking time may vary depending on roast size but about 8-10 hrs on low or 4-6 hrs on high should do it. ***If you like things extra saucy then double the recipe, I always do***
Since everything is closed I know we won't be going to do any shopping of any kind so our day will probably be rather low key. I hope tonight I can find some Mama time and try out my new Lush bath bomb - aptly named "Sex Bomb" (I recently discovered the awesomeness that is Lush). Check out  Lush Fresh Handmade Cosmetics to see for yourself but really find a store so you can actually smell for yourself. 
Yesterday I made some sorting progress in our on going attempt to de-clutter our home and our lives. I pulled out my sewing baskets and bags and went through them. I was ruthless. There were so many bits and pieces and partially begun projects. I had to be ruthless. I did however find a few past gems in there, such as the first cross-stitch I ever did, my old spool knitting stuff (which was my dad's as boy), and the almost finished Winnie the Pooh cross stitch from when I was pregnant with Viktor. Since everything is sorted now I am going to finish it. Shouldn't take too long and I will feel wonderful about it. I'm excited to get back to my old hobby.
My impending cross-stitching has me now in an overall mood of creating. I want to play music. I want to bake. I think our day may hold the fruits of our creative labours today. Maybe for us it is a labor day. A day of our labours. And although labour day I know does not have anything to do with the labour of child birth it does invoke that mentality, in me at least. I feel gracious today for the results of those labours. My 1st, my 2nd and my 3rd. 
Just writing this out I am realizing, stolen time, Mama time, reviving a favourite past time, maybe today won’t be like any other day. Like they say in "Up", "Adventure is out there!".

No comments:

Post a Comment