Monday 30 January 2012

Homemade Skor Bars

This afternoon the kids and I made a tasty treat. So simple. 4 ingredients. The hardest part is waiting long enough until they are cooled. 

While I've seen many recipes for these on pinterest and all over internet land I've been making this particular one for years. Long ago while still in high school was when I first had them, courtesy of my mum. Now my children can enjoy making them with me (or so I hope).

Warning: Do not make this without another adult present or kids in full nap mode. Last thing you need is to turn your back on a sugar and butter mixture in a rolling boil to settle a spat over whose hot wheels is whose. Just sayin'.


Homemade Skor Bars

approx. 1 and 1/2 tubes of saltine crackers
1 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
1 cup chocolate chips (although I always toss on an extra handful)

-Preheat oven to 375'
-Line a cookie sheet with tin foil and spray with cooking spray. 
-Line saltine crackers on the pan salt side up.  
-Melt the butter in a saucepan
-Add the sugar




This is where is gets to the only tricky part:

-Melt the sugar and bring the butter sugar mixture to a boil
-Let boil for 3 min stirring frequently
DO NOT STEP AWAY 


-Pour butter and sugar mixture over the saltines and put in oven for 8 min.



-Pull out pan after 8 minutes and immediately put chocolate chips on top






















-Allow them to sit a few moments to let them melt
-Once chips are melting begin lightly spreading the chocolate to cover




-Allow bars to cool and harden (I stuck mine in the freezer because I lack patience)

-Once cooled and hardened cut into squares
-Delicious with a cup of coffee or nice cold glass of milk. 




ENJOY!!


No comments:

Post a Comment